Convert all text file data from upper to lowercase


Convert all text file data from upper to lowercase:


Type the following command at shell:
$ tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' < input.txt > output.txt


Convert variable data from upper to lowercase:


$ echo $VAR_NAME | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
$ echo $VAR_NAME | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]'


Recommended readings:


Sample Shell Script


#!/bin/bash
# get filename
echo -n "Enter File Name : "
read fileName
 
# make sure file exits for reading
if [ ! -f $fileName ]; then
  echo "Filename $fileName does not exists"
  exit 1
fi
 
# convert uppercase to lowercase using tr command
tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' < $fileName
 

Post a Comment

And that's all there is to it!

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future How To posts, you can either ask them in the comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know.

Previous Post Next Post